Henry County voters approved transportation SPLOST during the November 2021 election. The new sales tax program will start next year. Proceeds will fund transportation projects throughout the county.
About 15,600 voters cast ballots. Henry County has 172k registered voters. This equates to a turnout rate of 9.07%.
Transportation SPLOST Results
T-SPLOST passed with 54.6% yes according to unofficial election results. The vote tally was as follows:
- 8,520 yes
- 7,021 no
Beginning April 1, 2022, Henry County will have an eight percent (8%) sales tax rate. This includes 4% state sales tax, 1% local option sales tax (LOST), 1% regular SPLOST, 1% education SPLOST and 1% transportation SPLOST. Henry County will join many others across the state with an eight percent rate. About 100 other counties presently levy 8%. By comparison, the highest sales tax rate in the state is 8.9% inside the city of Atlanta. The lowest is 6% charged in Cherokee, Cobb and Gwinnett Counties.
The T-SPLOST program is estimated to collect $245 million dollars over five years. From which, the county and four cities will split proceeds based on population.
The county’s share will fund seven major projects totaling $155 million. The county also has $10 million for district projects. The major projects include the following:
- State Route 81 widening (phase I), Postmaster Drive and Bethany Road — $28 million
- Bill Gardner Parkway widening, I-75 to SR 155 — $34 million
- Jonesboro Road widening, Mill Road to N Mt. Carmel Road — $35 million
- Mill Road widening, Jonesboro Road to Flea Market — $5 million
- McDonough Parkway extension, SR 42 to SR 155 — $14 million
- Rock Quarry Road widening, Hospital Drive to SR 138 — $27 million
- Fairview Road widening, Hearn Road to SR 155 — $12 million
Featured image shows a four-lane road in Georgia with custom road sign overlay. Photo credit Georgia DOT and Sign Maker by Brendon Strowe.
Support Moving Henry Forward
If you appreciate my work on this article, please consider supporting the site. For as little as $3 a month, you can help me keep you in the loop about our community. To become a supporter, click here.
Sign up for my e-mail newsletter. The newsletter is a great way to stay connected with Moving Henry Forward.