The Henry County Board of Commissioners was scheduled to meet on Wednesday morning, November 3, 2021. The meeting was unable to proceed because a quorum was not present. The board must have at least four members to conduct business.
Meetings typically occur on Tuesday, but sometimes change to Wednesday for holidays. The county changed the date because of Election Day. They included notice about the date change on the October 5 meeting agenda.
Lack of Quorum delays agenda items
Chair Harrell, Commissioners Wilson and Cannon were in attendance for the Wednesday morning meeting. About fifteen minutes past the hour, Chair Harrell addressed the room mostly full of county staff. The chair remarked, “I wish I could call the meeting to order, but we do not have a quorum, Because Commissioner Clemmons, Commissioner Thomas and Commissioner Holmes did not show up for today’s meeting, we cannot conduct the business of Henry County. Therefore, there will be no meeting today.”
Staff will move agenda items to the next meeting. The board’s next regular meeting will be on Tuesday, November 16, at 6:30 pm.
Some of the agenda items scheduled for consideration included the following:
- Mutual aid agreements for the fire department with AmeriPro EMS, LLC and Butts County,
- Approving the bid award to install a temporary red light at Bill Gardner Pkwy and Lester Mill Road,
- Approving the purchase of fitness equipment for Heritage Senior Center fitness room addition,
- Three parcels of right of way acquisition for Rock Quarry Road widening,
- Resolution requesting federal funds for local transportation projects, and
- Resolution authorizing the general assembly to redraw commission districts for Henry County following the 2020 Census.
The board also has a called meeting on Tuesday, November 9, at 9 am. The meeting is to discuss impact fees and county purchasing policy. In addition, the board will learn more about the state contract process and receive an update on capital projects. Meeting agendas are available on the county website.
Featured image shows board members during the November 3, 2021 meeting. Photo credit C. Carte.
Support Moving Henry Forward
If you appreciate my work on this article, please consider supporting the site. For as little as $3 a month, you can help me keep you in the loop about our community. To become a supporter, click here.
Sign up for my e-mail newsletter. The newsletter is a great way to stay connected with Moving Henry Forward.