BOC approves Campground Road subdivision, schedules district III cases

Area map showing central Henry County with the Campground Road conservation subdivision highlighted in yellow (Henry County qPublic photo).

The Henry County Board of Commissioners recently considered a new subdivision off Campground Road. They approved the rezoning request during the July 20 meeting. Later this month, the board will consider three more requests in district III.

Campground Road subdivision

Commissioners approved the rezoning of 183 +/- acres off Campground Road. The property — located between SR 155 and Elliott Road — has been a topic of discussion since spring 2019. The final approval allows for up to 215 single-family homes in a conservation subdivision. By comparison, the original 2019 concept had over 400 lots.

The minimum lot size equals 15,000 square feet with an average lot size of 18,000 square feet. At least 75% of the homes shall be at least 2,800 square feet. The remaining 25% must be at least 2,400 square feet. The homes must also be three sides brick, stone or stucco and feature a two-car garage. No more than 10% of lots may be used for rental purposes.

In addition, the conservation subdivision requires a 50’ buffer on property lines. The buffer along Campground Road must measure at least 100’ in depth. Finally, a privacy fence will be present along two neighboring properties.

SR 20 at Airline Road

Later this month, the board will consider two rezoning requests at state route 20 and Airline Road. The board meeting is on Tuesday, August 17, starting at 6:30 pm. The requests are on two street corners, but for different purposes.

Gas Station & Self-Storage

At the southwest corner, J&P Synergy of McDonough, GA is proposing a new gas station and self-storage business. The property consists of 19.998 +/- acres.

Presently, the future land use map supports industrial development at the location. The applicant is requesting a change of the map to commercial. This change would support their proposal.

Planning staff are recommending mixed use zoning for the property. The zoning advisory board supported staff recommendations at a meeting earlier this year. The BOC will hold a public hearing before voting on the request.

Conservation Subdivision

Also in the vicinity, Blue River Development of Cumming, GA is proposing a new subdivision at the southeast corner of the intersection. The property consists of 93.69 +/- acres.

The zoning advisory board previously approved a conditional use permit to allow a conservation subdivision at the location. The permit allows smaller lots than ordinary development. In exchange, the builder must preserve buffers and at least forty percent of the property as open space.

The board of commissioners must vote on the zoning of the property. The applicant is proposing 114 lots in a R-2 with sewer (R-2S) zoning. In addition, the board may adopt zoning conditions. Conditions can include, but not limited to, home size, exterior finish and community amenities.

Concept layout for Foster Drive apartments with surrounding business logos (Arlington Properties photo, staff modifications)
(Arlington Properties photo)

Foster Drive

Finally, the board will hear a request for mixed use zoning on Foster Drive. The applicant, Arlington Properties of Birmingham, AL, is proposing a 260-unit apartment complex.

Located north of Resurgens Orthopaedics, the property consists of 18.2 +/- acres. In addition to apartments, the property would include 5,000 square feet of retail space. The commercial space would be in the ground floor of the main building.

The 260 units include the following:

  • 90 one-bedroom units (35%)
  • 130 two-bedroom units (50%)
  • 40 three-bedroom units (15%)

Other new apartment complexes limit three-bedroom units to five percent. If the BOC approves the request, then they can limit the percentage of three-bedroom units through zoning conditions.

Featured image shows central Henry County with the Campground Road subdivision outlined in yellow. Photo credit Henry County qPublic.

Support Moving Henry Forward

If you appreciate my work on this article, please consider supporting the site. For as little as $3 a month, you can help me keep you in the loop about our community. To become a supporter, click here.

Sign up for my e-mail newsletter. The newsletter is a great way to stay connected with Moving Henry Forward.

About Clayton 942 Articles
Clayton Carte is the founder and owner of MHF News. Since 2017, he has written over 900 articles sharing local updates with the community.