The Henry County Board of Commissioners approved the rezoning of ninety-six acres from R-3 (single-family residential) to RS (residential suburban) in January 2021. The subject property is located off Mount Carmel Road between Mill Road and Chambers Road.
The board previously rezoned the property from RA (residential agricultural) to R-3 in March 2017. Since that time, Henry County completed an update to the land use plan. The update included a shift for the property from low-density to medium-density residential. The change increases the property’s density cap from two net units per acre to six.
The applicant, Tim Jones Properties, Inc. of Brookhaven, GA, submitted plans showing single-family homes and townhomes on the property. Commissioner Clemmons, in whose district the request is located, commented the builder will be Pulte Homes of Alpharetta, GA.
Since the zoning advisory board meeting in September, the applicant submitted an updated site plan. The approved site plan includes 225 single-family homes and 132 townhomes. There is a total of 357 units.
Commissioners approved the rezoning request with twenty-five (25) conditions. Commissioners Wilson and Barham voted against the request.
Zoning conditions include the following:
Subdivision Layout & Amenities
- A minimum of one (1) street shall be stubbed out to the western property line. This condition is to allow for connectivity with property to the west. The property is also proposed for development by Pulte Homes.
- The development shall be marketed as an active-adult community for ages 55 and older. The sign at the front of the community will include the marketing.
- There will be an HOA. The board shall consist of at least two (2) fee-simple townhome owners and two (2) single-family home owners.
- The HOA shall maintain all lawn care for all of its residents.
- The developer will install streetlights and sidewalks along the frontage of Mt. Carmel Road.
- There shall be a monumental entrance with a water feature reminiscent of Sun City.
- There will be a divided median (boulevard style) entrance.
- The developer will provide an amenity package with the following: a pool, fire pit and grilling area, and dog park. Pocket parks shall be provided throughout the community.
- The community shall maintain compliance with federal laws authorizing age-restricted communities.
- All homes shall consist entirely of two or more of the following on all sides: brick, stone, stucco or cement fiberboard. Vinyl-based products are only permitted in the soffits, eaves and fascia.
- All single-family homes shall have a minimum two-car garage.
- Any lots that back up to the Legends at Rowanshyre subdivision shall have homes with an enclosed patio. Homes shall also be at least 2,500 square feet.
- A landscaped buffer shall be provided along the Legends at Rowanshyre property line.
- All other homes shall be a minimum of 2,000 square feet.
- Any residential structure on a lot that backs up to Mt. Carmel Road shall be four sides brick. This also applies to lots visible from Mount Carmel Road.
- All single-family detached homes shall include a covered front porch.
Credit for the featured image to Henry County.
Support Moving Henry Forward
If you appreciate my work on this article, please consider supporting the site. For as little as $3 a month, you can help me keep you in the loop about our community. To become a supporter, click here.
Sign up for my e-mail newsletter. The newsletter is a great way to stay connected with Moving Henry Forward.