On Tuesday, September 15, Henry County commissioners approved a residential rezoning request accessible off state route 155. The property, consisting of 70.24 +/- acres, is located between Town Square Drive and Pinnacle Pointe subdivision.
The applicant intends to build an age-targeted community for senior housing. Zoning conditions placed on the property limit the development to single-family homes. No townhomes are allowed.
The property was rezoned from RA (residential agricultural) and R-3 (single-family residential) to RS (residential suburban). The RS zoning district allows single-family lot sizes of 7,260 square feet with a minimum heated square footage of 1,800 sq ft for single-family homes.
By comparison, the adjacent subdivision Pinnacle Pointe located within the city of McDonough has minimum lot sizes of 6,000 square feet. The property shares multiple boundary lines with city limits, and in 2018, was part of a proposed annexation by referendum that failed.
The seventy-acre property includes nearly twenty-three acres of floodplain and a two-acre pond. A 100’ power line easement also traverses the property. The number of dwelling units is limited to 198.
Additional zoning conditions require the following:
- A traffic impact study will be required; all of the indicated improvements will be required of the owner / developer. The owner / developer shall coordinate with HCDOT and GDOT regarding all access to the development.
- All single-family homes shall have a two-car garage. Garages shall be side-entry where feasible.
- All disturbed areas shall be sodded, except where landscaping is present or installed.
- A thirty-foot landscaped buffer shall be maintained around the development’s periphery.
- The entire development shall be age-targeted to seniors.
- All units will be designed for senior living.
- A six foot high, vinyl-coated, black, chain link fence shall be provided and maintained along the western property line where development is proposed.
- Five foot wide sidewalks shall be provided along both sides of all interior streets. A five foot wide sidewalk shall be provided along the property’s frontage of highway 155.
- Decorative street lights shall be provided along all new streets and along the property’s frontage of highway 155.
- Street trees shall be required along all interior streets.
- The development shall be a gated community with private streets.