Blue dots represent single-family housing permits issued in 2018. (ARC photo)
Preliminary data from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development illustrates a 4.7% decline in year-over-year residential building permits issued in Henry County. A total of 1,816 permits were issued in 2019, including 1,684 single-family permits and 132 multifamily permits.
By comparison, in 2018, there were a total of 1,905 single-family permits and zero multifamily permits.
The multifamily permits were issued for the under-construction Canyon Springs apartments off Jonesboro Road. Commissioners approved phase I of the project, consisting of 223 units, in 2017 and approved phase II with an additional three-hundred units in November 2019.
Land disturbance activities have also started on new “big house” style apartments on Mt Carmel Road. The project was approved for 230 units one year ago.
Permits within the Cities
New permits within cities saw an eleven percent decrease. The four cities issued 1,032 residential permits in 2018 followed by 918 permits last year.
Source: State of the Cities Database
Within the city of McDonough, where nearly half of all incorporated residential activity occurred, the city saw a strong fourth quarter with 172 permits issued. Residential construction also picked up in Stockbridge during the fourth quarter when 57 permits were issued.
Street Light Districts document new subdivisions
The board of commissioners approved six new street light districts in 2019, representing subdivisions with 419 lots. The subdivisions included the following:
- Traditions @ Crystal Lake Phase II, Unit I â€“ 92 lots off Jonesboro Road (district 2)
- Longleaf Phase II, Unit III â€“ 39 lots off Turner Church Road (district 3)
- Laurel Park â€“ 80 lots off Highway 81 East (district 3)
- Bellah Landing Phase III, Unit I â€“ 42 lots off Hemphill Road (district 4)
- Everton â€“ 36 lots off Crumbley Road (district 4)
- Clark Estates East â€“ 130 lots off Clark Road (district 5)
On February 4, the commissioners approved three additional districts for the following subdivisions:
- Farris Park Phase IB â€“ 27 lots off Farris Road (district 2)
- Elliott Grove Phase II â€“ 37 lots off Kelleytown Road (district 4)
- Clark Estates West â€“ 70 lots off Bond Road (district 5)