The rezoning request was withdrawn prior to being presented to the zoning advisory board.
Trammell Crow Residential, doing business as known subsidiary Maple Multi-Family Land SE, LP, has applied for a rezoning of 42.57 +/- acres from RA (residential agricultural) and R-2 (single-family residential) to MU (mixed use). The project is proposing a mixed use residential, office and commercial development.
The subject property is located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Jonesboro Road and Mt Olive Road. The property does NOT include McDonough Christian Church, but rather wraps around the church’s land.
The applicant is proposing 321 multifamily units on 26.32 +/- acres. The apartment complex would be developed as a gated community, with at minimum, amenities including a clubhouse and swimming pool, and be accessible off Jonesboro Road. The proposed entrance aligns with Vinings Drive.
The remaining 16.25 +/- acres would be set aside for office and commercial development. The applicant is proposing 10,000 square feet of building space per net acre, totaling 121,000 square feet, within three distinct pods. The largest pod, consisting of six buildable acres and accessible off Mt Olive Road, would be a quality candidate for corporate office space based on its future access along the western parallel connector.
The subject property is designated for mixed use development on Henry County’s future land use map. The proposed uses are supported by the mixed use zoning district and supported by the comprehensive land use plan.
Zoning conditions recommended by county staff will require the applicant to complete a traffic impact study, be responsible for necessary improvements to Jonesboro Road, and coordinate with Georgia DOT to preserve right of way for future roadway projects along Jonesboro Road and Mt Olive Road.
Henry County planning staff have recommended approval of the request with seven conditions:
- A commercial driveway permit shall be submitted through Georgia Permit Application System (GPAS).
- A traffic impact study shall be required.
- Owner/developer must coordinate with the GDOT Project Manager to reduce conflicts and preserve right-of-way according to the most recent GDOT project design.
- Deceleration lane shall be provided for placement along Mount Olive Road at the site’s access point designed and constructed to HCDOT standards.
- All out parcels shall be required to get internal access, there shall not be access to Jonesboro Road other than main access point.
- An amenity package, which shall include a swimming pool, and club house, shall be provided to residents within the development.
- The residential portion of the subject property shall be developed as a gated community. The gate shall be maintained and monitored at the property owner’s expense.
The rezoning request was postponed before its scheduled presentation at the September zoning advisory board meeting. This post will be updated when it is rescheduled.
Meetings are held at the Henry County Administration Building located on Henry Parkway in McDonough. The request will be scheduled before the board of commissioners at a later date.
This article was originally published in August 2019. It’s been updated in November 2019 to include an insert about the Canyon Springs apartments across the street.