An application for annexation and rezoning request for 43.23 +/- acres along South Hampton Road proposes to build ninety one lots under the city’s R-3 zoning district. Hampton’s R-3 zoning district allows minimum lot sizes of 12,000 square feet.
Henry County Commissioners objected to the proposed annexation in May over concerns about the development’s inconsistency with the county’s future land use map. Henry County’s land use planning designates the property for rural residential development, supporting up to one unit per acre, but the proposed development calculates to a net density of 2.68 units per acre. The county’s objection must be resolved prior to the Hampton city council considering the applicant’s proposal.
A concurrent request to amend the comprehensive land use plan from rural residential development to medium density residential has been submitted. Both requests will be presented to the zoning advisory board on Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 6:30 pm. The ZAB will hear the presentation and make recommendations acting in their capacity as the city of Hampton’s advisory board.
In evaluating the comprehensive plan amendment, Henry County planning staff considered other subdivisions in the immediate vicinity. Although the county’s FLUM recommends rural residential development for the area, existing subdivisions within the city limits of Hampton are comprised of 12,000 square feet and 10,890 sq. ft. lots. For this reason, planning staff recommend approval of the comp plan amendment.
Planning staff have recommended approval of the rezoning request with the following conditions:
- Access shall be located such that the minimum intersection sight distance and minimum spacing requirements of the HCDOT are met per the posted speed limit of South Hampton Road.
- Access shall have a deceleration lane and acceleration taper designed and constructed to HCDOT standards.
- The owner/developer shall complete a traffic study equivalent to that required in Henry County’s Unified Land Development Code, Section 8.01.02. The owner/developer shall be required to complete indicated improvements to the satisfaction of HCDOT for access to South Hampton Road as a part of the subdivision’s first approved development permit.
- Each home shall have a minimum two-car garage.
- All houses shall be built on site (no modular or manufactured homes).
- All disturbed areas shall be sodded, except where landscaping is present or installed.
Note: an additional 205.51 acres located immediately to the west is owned by the applicant’s agent, HP Henry LLC. The additional property is located within the city limits of Hampton and zoned residential agriculture. A rezoning request has not yet been submitted for that property.