The Gardner 42 industrial development in Locust Grove is expanding to include 96 acres located immediately north of the existing construction. The property is bank owned and zoned M-1 (light industrial) so no public hearings are required for the project.
As part of the expansion, Scannell Properties has updated their site plan to include an increase in trailer parking but decrease in total warehouse space. The below chart, copied from the Kimley Horn traffic impact study, summarizes the changes:
|Gardner 42 (2018)||Expansion (2019)|
|Building 1||1,005,004 SF||1,012,440 SF|
|Building 2||1,005,004 SF||657,600 SF|
|Total||2,010,008 SF||1,670,040 SF|
|Acreage||120 +/- acres||217 +/- acres|
|Auto Parking Spaces||836 Spaces||992 Spaces|
|Trailer Parking Spaces||650 Spaces||1,863 Spaces|
|Total||1,486 Spaces||2,855 Spaces|
|Number of Driveways||2 Driveways||4 Driveways|
|Gross Trip Generation|
|Gross Daily Trips||3,222 Trips||4,256 Trips|
The project plans three entrances along Georgia 42 and one driveway on Marketplace Blvd. A traffic signal is proposed at SR 42 and Colvin Drive to support the commercial vehicle entrance for building 2.
The traffic impact study identified several other intersections in need of improvement to support the development. The recommendations factor in the future trip generation from surrounding industrial developments.
The study recommends the following:
- SR 42 at Bethlehem Road – install a traffic signal, if warranted, and provide turning lanes.
- SR 42 at Site Driveway A / Colvin Drive – install a traffic signal, if warranted, and provide turning lanes.
- SR 42 at Site Driveway B / N Jackson Street – provide turning lanes along Georgia 42.
- SR 42 at Site Driveway C – provide turning lanes along Georgia 42.
- SR 42 at Marketplace Blvd – install a traffic signal, if warranted.
- SR 42 at Bill Gardner Parkway – restripe the median on the eastbound approach to provide two eastbound left turning lanes and restripe Georgia 42 to provide two northbound receiving lanes.
- Bill Gardner Parkway at Tanger Boulevard / Marketplace Blvd – restripe the northbound approach to provide one left turn lane and one shared through/right turn lane. Remove split signal phasing.
- Marketplace Boulevard at Site Driveway D – provide turning lanes along Marketplace Blvd.
Documents uploaded by the city of Locust Grove indicate a traffic signal will be installed at Georgia 42 and Marketplace Blvd before year end. Improvements are not expected at SR 42 and Bethlehem Road until the new interstate exit is constructed in 2025. The Gardner 42 expansion is expected to be completed in 2020.