The Henry County Board of Commissioners will meet on Tuesday, April 16, at 6:30 pm. Meetings are held at the Henry County Administration Building on Henry Parkway in McDonough. Residents are encouraged to attend what looks to be an informative evening.
The meeting agenda includes three rezoning requests, a proposed change in county ordinance regarding small cell technology, public hearings regarding the FY 2020 county budget and a proposed multiyear purchase contract with respect to the Henry County Public Safety Administration Annex on Zach Hinton Parkway, and information only presentations about funding capital projects and recommendations from the SPLOST V committee. All meeting exhibits are viewable on the county website.
North Ola Road mixed use project
JWA Ventures II, LLC of Montgomery, AL is requesting a rezoning from RA (residential agricultural) and C-1 (neighborhood commercial) to MU (mixed use) for 103.5 +/- acres located northeast of the intersection of state highway 81 and North Ola Road. The development proposes to build commercial space anchored by a not-yet-named grocery store and a half-acre lot residential subdivision.
The zoning advisory board recommended approval of the request at its March 28 meeting. The ZAB added several proposed zoning conditions, including residential lot sizes must meet R-2 on sewer zoning standards (22,000 square foot lots) and an increase in the minimum home size to 2,400 square feet.
Jonesboro Road residential subdivision
Hybrass Properties of Conyers, GA requests a rezoning from RA (residential agricultural) to RS (residential suburban) for 159.10 +/- acres located on Jonesboro Road west of McCullough Road. The developer proposes 371 single-family dwelling units and 20 multifamily units.
The rezoning request was presented to the zoning advisory board in January 2018. The ZAB recommended approval at that time; however, because of substantial changes to the proposed development since then, conditions proposed by the zoning advisory board are no longer compatible with the project.
Elliot Road residential subdivision
Builders Professional Group, LLC of Jonesboro, GA requests a rezoning from RA (residential agricultural) to R-2 on sewer (single-family residential) for 87.29 +/- acres located at 728 Elliot Road. The developer is proposing 130 residential lots on the property.
The zoning advisory board recommended denial of the request at its March 14 meeting. The ZAB also denied a conditional use permit for a conservation subdivision.
FY 2020 Henry County Budget
The first of two public hearings regarding the proposed FY 2020 Henry County budget will be held on Tuesday night. The second public hearing will be on Tuesday, May 7, at 9 am. Residents are encouraged to review the proposed budget, linked below, and present any comments or concerns they may have to the commissioners.
The proposed budget shows anticipated revenues of $159,500,000 and anticipated expenses of $156,000,000. For comparison purposes, the adopted FY 2019 budget totaled revenues of $161,535,766 ($9,727,017 from fund balance) and expenditures of $161,535,766.
Financing Options for Capital Projects
The county’s finance director, David Smith, will present the board of commissioners with financing options for their recently adopted $180 million dollar capital project list. The financial presentation covers SPLOST bonds, General Obligation bonds, Installment Sales Agreement, Urban Redevelopment Agency, and Governmental Services Authority.
A press release published this week by Henry County indicated a convention center and arena is planned near Interstates 75 and 675 in Stockbridge as part of a pending rezoning request. The venue has been championed by some members of the BOC despite strong public opposition to the proposal. The financial presentation to be given on Tuesday night states that the convention center / arena would be eligible for funding through a variety of mechanisms including either the urban redevelopment agency or governmental services authority.
SPLOST V Projects
After nine months of public meetings by the SPLOST V committee, the Henry County Board of Commissioners will formally take the lead over project selection on Tuesday night. A special called meeting has already been scheduled by the BOC to discuss the committee’s recommendations on Tuesday, May 14, at 9 am.
If approved by the voters in November, the SPLOST V program is estimated to collect $245 million over six years. Henry County would tentatively receive 75% of the funds, pending an intergovernmental agreement with the cities, for capital projects and transportation improvements. The remaining 25% would be divided among the cities based on population.