The McDonough city council has awarded the bid to construct a new bandstand/ pavilion at Avalon Park to Renfroe Construction Company, LLC of Macon, GA. The contract represents one of the city’s final stages in expanding Avalon Park located on Industrial Parkway. The project has been funded with SPLOST IV dollars.
The new bandstand will cost $342,772.00 for construction. The expansion at Avalon Park has an overall budget of $2 million, from which $800,000 was spent on property acquisition.
The council also approved a contract for C&C Lovejoy LLC of Lovejoy, GA to install an 8′ wide walking trail connecting the new splash pad, pavilion, and playground at Avalon Park. That work will cost $37,200.00 and includes an additional $3,720.00 for ten percent contingency totaling $40,920.00.
The items were approved on the city’s consent agenda during Thursday’s meeting without any discussion. The items passed via unanimous vote.
Later in the meeting, city administrator Keith Dickerson shared the project “[is] really starting to look nice out there” and that the project’s completion is expected in four to five months. Playground installation is ongoing, the splash pad has been poured, and the bathrooms have been installed.
Plans to expand the park have been underway for several years. Previous contracts awarded for the park expansion included the following:
- October 2018 – $32,140.00 to C&C Lovejoy LLC for installation of 5′ and 6′ wide sidewalks along the parking lot area and entrance at Avalon Park
- October 2018 – $12,214.57 to Goforth Williamson, Inc. of Griffin, GA for wastewater lift station at the restroom
- May 2018 – $399,965.64 to Great Southern Recreation of Murfreesboro, TN for the splash pad and playground
- April 2018 – $7,210 to Henry County Water Authority for installation of 2″ irrigation meter for the splash pad and 1″ meter for the restroom
- January 2018 – $562,000.00 to C&C Lovejoy LLC for site grading, parking lot expansion, storm drains, and a detention pond
- February 2017 – $17,500 to Red Dirt Landscaping of Locust Grove, GA for site clearance
- November 2015 – $102,000 plus reimbursable expenses to Vaughn & Melton Engineering for architectural, surveying, and civil engineering services
In addition to the park expansion, a new restroom and concession stand building was constructed at the existing in-line skate area. Henry County contributed $47,700 in county SPLOST funds alongside $110,000 from city of McDonough impact fees to fund the work. The contract was awarded to CXT Incorporated of Spokane Valley, WA using a NJPA contract in March 2018.