Previewing 2019: SPLOST V referendum in November

Photo of SPLOST V committee at Ola Elementary
The SPLOST V committee will hold six meetings in 2019. (Don Dunlap photo)

Moving Henry Forward is previewing what we can expect in 2019. The proposed extension of SPLOST will be decided by Henry County voters in November.

If approved, the SPLOST V program is estimated to collect $220 million between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2025. From that, the Henry County BOC is anticipating a program budget of $165 million (75%). The remaining 25% is divided among the cities based on population.

Earlier this month, county staff members recommended to the SPLOST V committee $70,945,000 worth in countywide projects. The committee voted 4-1 to adopt those recommendations. The recommended projects include the following:

County Facilities

  • Animal Control renovations – $1,000,000
  • New Elections Building – $2,500,000
  • Jail Pod addition – $10,000,000
  • Probate Court parking expansion – $750,000
  • Fleet Replacement program – $22,695,000

Subtotal: $36,945,000

Public Safety

  • Ola Police Precinct & New Fire Station (exact location TBD; in the vicinity of SR 81 & Mt. Bethel Road) – $6,000,000
  • Fairview Police Precinct & Fire Station 6 rebuild (Fairview Road at W Panola Road) – $4,500,000

Subtotal: $10,500,000

Parks & Recreation

  • Convention Center – $20,000,000

Subtotal: $20,000,000

Program Management

  • Program Management – $3,500,000

Subtotal: $3,500,000

Total: $70,945,000

The recommended project list leaves $94,055,000 for district projects. The committee will budget $18,811,000 worth of projects within the recommendations for each commission district.

The SPLOST V committee has six meetings remaining. Starting in January, the committee will meet once in each commission district to select district project recommendations. Members of the public are encouraged to attend the meetings.

All meetings are held on Thursdays at 6:30 pm.

  • District 1 – January 10 (New Hope Elementary)
  • District 2 – January 24 (Luella Middle School)
  • District 3 – February 7 (Heritage Senior Center)
  • District 4 – February 28 (Timber Ridge Elementary)
  • District 5 – March 7 (Cotton Indian Elementary)

A final meeting will be held on March 21 at the Henry County Administration Building. After the committee concludes its work, all recommendations will be presented to the board of commissioners in May. The BOC has the final determination on potential projects and may modify the list before calling for the voter referendum.

Moving Henry Forward will continue our extensive coverage of the proposed SPLOST V projects throughout the year. I want all residents to have as much information as possible before making a decision at the ballot box in November 2019.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: