Project managers from the Georgia Department of Transportation held a joint meeting with the Henry County Board of Commissioners this week. Information was provided on fifteen projects under development for Henry County. Today’s post has the project list and the expected construction start date for each project. Later posts will feature additional details on major projects.
Road Widening Projects
Each project’s scope of work is to widen the road from two lanes to four lanes.
- SR 20 / 81 from Willow Drive to Phillips Drive :: Construction expected 2019
- US 23 / SR 42 from SR 138 to I-675 :: Construction expected 2021
- US 23 / SR 42 from downtown McDonough to SR 138 :: Construction expected 2022
- SR 81** from Postmaster Drive to Bethany Road :: Construction expected 2022
- SR 155 from I-75 to SR 81 :: Construction expected 2022
- Jonesboro Road from I-75 to US 19 / 41 :: Construction expected 2022
- Rock Quarry Road** from Eagles Landing Parkway to SR 138 :: Construction expected 2022
** Project is dependent on securing additional local funding, through the passing of a T-SPLOST or SPLOST V.
New Road Project
There is one new road project. This is the much-anticipated Western Parallel Connector between Jonesboro Road and Hudson Bridge Road. View Moving Henry Forward’s previous post on the funding of the connector and project description page. Construction is expected in 2022.
Interchange and Intersection Projects
I-75 at SR 20 / 81 diverging diamond interchange :: Construction expected 2019
GDOT has stepped up to fund the revolutionary diverging diamond for I-75 at SR 20 / 81. This is one of the most congested interchanges in the county and the DDI will greatly improve traffic flow. We will explain how the diverging diamond works and its benefits in a later post.
SR 81 at Snapping Shoals Road / Jackson Lake Road full-size roundabout :: No construction date available
The state has expedited the installation of a full-size roundabout for one of Ola’s crossroads after many complaints from citizens over the mini roundabout. SR 20 at East Lake Road is an example of a full-size roundabout and the type of work we can expect. This is a recent project decision by GDOT and no project schedule is available.
Bridge Replacement Projects
- Elliot Road over Walnut Creek :: Construction expected August 2018
- Blackhall Road over Rum Creek :: Construction expected August 2018
- SR 81 over South River :: Construction expected 2020
- SR 42 over Norfolk Southern railroad between Harris Drive and Bethlehem Road :: Construction expected 2021
Greenway Trail Projects
There is one trail project broken up into two phrases. The Panola Mountain Greenway Trail is being built to connect Panola Mountain State Park with the Fairview Public Library. The first phase is from the state park to Austin Road Middle School and is expected for construction start in July 2018. The second phase will finish the trail from the middle school to the public library and construction is expected in 2019.